POTASSIUM CHLORIDE INJECTION 1G 10ML
For use in patients requiring supplemental potassium therapy.
Dosage and Administration:
The goal of potassium replacement therapy is to elevate the plasma concentration of the ion to within the normal range.
Dose per hour: The maximal rate of intravenous infusion is 20mmol/hour.
Dose per day: Since the normal dietary intake of potassium is 50 to 100mmol daily, it is rare that a larger amount is required during potassium replacement therapy.
Precautions & Warning:
• Only use with specialist advice
• ECG should be used throughout and monitored continuously
• High concentrations of potassium cause serious cardiotoxicity, so the concentration of the solution should not exceed 3g (40mmol)/L and the diluted solution given slowly (maximal rate 20mmol/L)
• Initially do not use with glucose infusions – glucose may further decrease potassium levels
Other concurrent treatment
• Extreme caution in patients on potassium sparing diuretics and other drugs that may increase potassium
• Glucose infusion
• Continuous ECG monitoring – see above Administration
• Regular potassium levels especially in patients with renal impairment
• Dehydration must be corrected to ensure adequate urinary output (and potassium excretion)
• Where renal excretion of potassium or cellular uptake deficient – life threatening hyperkalaemia can occur with standard doses
• Extreme caution with extensive tissue destruction (eg burns)
• Extreme caution in cardiac disease
1.) Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients
2.) Sterile Potassium Chloride Injection should never be used undiluted.
3.) Hyperkalaemia (plasma-potassium concentration above 5 mmol/litre).
5.) Impaired renal function with oliguria, anuria or azotaemia
6.) Addison's disease,
7.) Acute dehydration
8.) Heat cramps.
Increased risk of severe hyperkalaemia with the following
• Angiotensin-II receptor anatagonists
• Potassium sparing diuretics such as: amiloride, spironolactone and triamterene and aldosterone antagonists
• Tacrolimus (not topical formulations)
Further reductions in potassium occurs with glucose infusions
Keep in outer carton. Do not store above 25°C.